I Ought To Know (revised)

I ought to know there's all too much to grow
to truly understand the natural hand
that stretches out in glee, inviting me
to plow and plant and reap the seeds I sow

I ought to chime there's all too little time
to truly look within, ask how I've been?
that shakes my hair to know I'm not aware
to love and live and journey up the climb

I ought to say there's all too much to pray
to truly heal the broken spinning wheel
that turns in hope when washing soil with soap
to right and rest the wrongs, will good outweigh?

Comments

  1. This is a compact and lyrical poem--probably the most musical poem you've submitted. One thing that stands out immediately if your use of iambic meter. The iambic pentameter is mostly true, and some of these lines really pop, such as "that shakes my hair to know I'm not aware," which is my favorite line in the poem. That's a fresh description, one I've never read before, and the internal rhyme is pleasing.

    I like the repetition of "I ought to" as an anaphora. The phrase captures a certain wistfulness that shapes the tone of the poem.

    The "cleaning soil with soap" line strikes me as a little off. It seems like too weird of a line for the poem it's in. I also felt that "reap the seeds I sow" is too much of a cliche for the poem.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lobe the lign of thre is too much to grow....it is scary how much thre is to improove in this life.
    This seems to me like a very spiritual piece, very Jewish. As Jews we are encouraged to look in and grow.You basically point out that thre is always more to pray, Also, when you think there is nothing more to pray about...yoj willl discover thee always is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 (revised)

The Word Doc. (revised)

A Sweet Villanelle (revised)